Plastering Question

I have small hairline expansion crackson the internal wall(plasterboard) lining of a 14 year old brick built house.

Tapping the wall gives a hollow sound except for an area about 8 inches in diameter centred on the cracks. It sound as if something is growing/expanding behind the lining. Any ideas as to possible causes and treatment would be greatly appreciated. Thany you.

4 Answers

Best Answer

There wont be anything growing behind the wall.
A small hairline crack isnt to bad for a 14y old house, is the board dot and dabbed to a solid wall, if so then it needs refitting with plenty of board adhesive and screws in the top.
If its on stud work, it will need extra screws in where it sounds loose, you will have to locate the upright timbers.
Depending on how much damage you do, ie if boards are to be replaced then it will need replastering.
If only adding a few extra screws, then easy-fill will do.

Answered 30th Nov 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi George

If the house is only 14 yrs old then it quite possible that the external wall Internal side the plasterboard would have been stuck to the wall useing a technigue called Dot & Dab useing drywall adeshive compound this normaly ( I Have seen Worse) is dabed on to a well prepared (cleaned no dust and not wet) at 300 centres with a solid strip down the edges and top and bottom of the board as your house is only 14 years old I dont see that would be something growing its sounds like that one or two of the dabs of came loose from the wall and landed on another this causeing the hairline cracks appearing in that location the easy way to find out the problem without causeing to much mess would be to cut a square out of the plasterboard bigger than the cracked area and see whats behind it if its the case of the above then if you can remove the debris and patch the whole back in and re skim hope this helps

Answered 30th Nov 2011


Member since 29 Nov 2011

If you have already got plasterboard walls I would use a tea tray , put on wall where a bad crack is and cut round with a stanley knife, hack out middle. Best to take a look, any damage can easily be soughted. Use the same tray to cut a new bit of plasterboard. If solid walls hack off back to brick. regards tjh

Answered 30th Nov 2011

T J Hubble

Member since 18 Aug 2009

That sounds like the wall has blown and could be down to damp. Trace out the crack and fill with render and skim it later on that should stop it cracking

Answered 30th Nov 2011


Member since 30 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions