Kitchen Fitting Question

Hello, i need advise on venting my cooker hood. there is an old boiler flue which goes up the chimney from behind my cooker. what i need to know is if there is likely to be a condensation problem.

The flue pipe already there from the old gas boiler is metal ducting. I would like to fit a new cooker hood & use this to vent it. I am worried about a build up & back flow of condensation. Can anyone let me know if this will be a problem & if so any ideas on what I can do. Many thanks, Graham..

2 Answers

As a general rule of thumb when removing a gas appliance that is open/coventionally flued it as advisable to cut the liner back and make good with a plate that has a closeable and openable option i.e. a slider vent. This is because during the summer months the chimney/flue system can sweat and needs to breath, failing to do so may result in condensation and a damp issue arising.
Hope this helps.


Answered 29th Nov 2011


Member since 23 Nov 2011

Hi, if you connect the cooker hood ducting kit to the old boiler flue - it will work but you are 100% correct that you will suffer from condensation issues as the cooker hood will generally pump hot air out when cooking and the flue will be cold especially in winter, this could also create a problem if it builds up enough to drip into the motor (unlikely) - not a lot can be done to avoid this and I would recommend venting it horizontally through the wall if poss. Hope this helps.

Answered 22nd Dec 2011

N Smith

Member since 19 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions