Ask a tradesman


Water coming in to inside wall

I stay in a 4 in a block upstairs flat. As you come in the door (at the bottom of stairs the wall to my right has been bothered with damp. We thought this was coming from the outside gutters and at the tail end of the summer got a company (who never done a good job) out to clear them. We dried the wall out, had it plastered and put a damp seal on it. We then had a first coat of paint on it. Last night there was high winds and heavy rain and when we looked this morning the paint was running off. The outside wall and behind the down pipe is soaking. This has held up our decorating and we dont know how to solve this problem.Can someone help?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Roofers

Best Answer

It is very hard to give you an answer a problem of this sort without a site visit. To be 100% sure employ a chartered surveyor or or get a fully approved damp proofing firm. There are techniques which can definately sort out your problem but you need a properly experienced expert to identify the source of the ingress. Don't pay someone who doesn't know what they are talking about as you will waste your money, however cheap they appear to be.


Answered 28th Nov 2011

this sound like either the roof or the guttering ,

post the job in the building/roofing section on the site and get someone who knows what they are doing out to resolve your issue

beat of luck alex


Answered 28th Nov 2011

If this is a solid brick wall property, then water is soaking through the brick, then the plaster and causing the exact problem you describe. No amount of damp seal will cure this, you have to cure the reason for the damp first. This may not be easy, I would have to look at it and track the damp with a damp meter, this always locates the source. It might be you easiest and best if you put a cement based plaster board wherever there is damp, plaster or normal plaster board is no good in this situation. This is cheap and cures the the problem 100%. What it does not cure is the cause of the damp, that does need to be investigated. You can tell if it has solid brick walls by looking at the external bricks. it you have occasional end bricks, then it is a solid brick wall and then locating the cause will be simple.


Paul Albright


Answered 28th Nov 2011

You have already said, ( they never done a good job ) get someone thats capable of doing a good job.


Answered 28th Nov 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories