Ask a tradesman
Extension is 7cm short
My builder has poured the foundations and laid 2 layers of concrete block. I have measured it and it is about 7cm short. When i spoke to him he said that they work to the nearest half block which made it come up a little short.
Is this correct or is he covering for getting the measurements wrong?
reponse to Sandau awnser - Thanks, it is a big deal if he has measured it incorrectly as i want the job done correctly and I don't want to be lied to. If it is the case then probably not the end of the world but would like to have been told rather then checking it myself.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders
I tend to make my marks from measurements and build back from there but that's just me.
Everyone has their own methods, but the real question perhaps ought to be whether two and a half inches matters enough to worry about.
I can certainly understand your frustration and do not condone what has happened. You are well within your rights to demand that the work be done the way it is on the plans.
Most builders would use a brick vertically to make up that difference, so I am surprised that they failed.
If you are not happy then the best thing to do is talk to them about it. If they refuse to put it right your best move then is to higher up in the company if possible, if not then try the CAB and ask for help through them. They will usually have a solicitor who you can discuss it with and see how it goes from there.
Answered 27th Apr 2017
If there is enough room on the footing taking that he has not built right on the edge the blockwork should be correct as all setting out dimensions should of been carried out before he started laying blocks if is not an issue and you could stand the loss I would let the BCO know as I have had them check jobs for dimensions in the past and could be funny as it has not been built the plans passed by planning but you are well within your right to get him to change it or as for a reduction in cost due to less material use!!
Hope this helps and you get it sorted
SKC Construction Ltd
Answered 5th May 2017
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- If I am planning to do a ground floor extension, can I still redecorate upstairs before the extension is done, or is it likely to cause cracks etc upstairs (it's a Victorian terrace).
- The felt(I assume it's felt) inside the roof area of my 4 bed house, although the forth bed is a newish extension, is hanging of in places. Is this going to be a big
- Extension bedroom floor is springy I don,t know if this is down to the boarding panels or there is a extra joist needed
- Is my drain under our conservatory? Is this a problem for our extension?