Ask a tradesman


What type of builder can draw structural plans

I am planning a side return extension and possibly extending a few feet further into my yard. Two load bearing walls are involved therefore requiring new structural beam work.

What type of tradesperson should I be looking to employ to a) draw plans and b) be competent at structural engineering/building.

I am aware that some builders will be able to calculate but I want to be sure that I am employing a qualified builder/engineer and not a cowboy.

Thank You

2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Best Answer

Hi I would only use a qualified structural engineer for steel calculations it is such an important job there is no point risking it.
Kind regards
Liam Lomasney


Answered 27th Apr 2017

Always use a architect for plan he will also be able to calculate weights, measurement for steels in one package and price. You can have theses checked by structural engineer if you wish . Building control might also might change them for bigger steels .they going over kill at moment .Architects usually right .


Answered 28th Apr 2017

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories