Architectural Services Question

Building regulations


We are currently due to exchange contracts on a new property, however the fact that a small kitchen extension built over 10 years ago has no building regulations. This may be a problem for us as we want to apply for further building regulations to knock down an internal load bearing wall. Will the council take action against the extension if we apply for these other building regulations?

2 Answers

Best Answer

The best thing you can do is ring the local planning folks and ask them. They make the decisions regardless of what the builder might think or suggest.

Sadly we have to do what the planning and other authorities tell us, not the other way round.

You CAN apply for planning permission before you buy!!! You simply have to tell the current owners via the form the planners will send you. (Though you might need to ask for the form...)

Answered 23rd Apr 2017

Sandau Enterprises UK

Member since 28 Feb 2017

You can apply to Building Control to regularise the works that were built without building regulation approval but this would mean upgrading the structure to meet current building regulations.
You really need a quotation for the upgrade and then negotiate before you exchange as its the current owners problem that will become yours
It may well be that not much upgrading is required or substantial upgrading. May be worth discussing with Building Control.

It is very difficult for Building Control to take enforcement action to regularise the works, assuming they do need regularising unless it is a dangerous structure.

The kitchen extension may have been built under the householders permitted development rights and applying for planning permission in this case would be optional as not everyone applies.

Planning and building control approvals are two separate applications.

Aztech Architecture

Answered 24th Apr 2017


Member since 13 Mar 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions