Ask a tradesperson

Kitchen Fitting

If elderly mum just wants new units, worktops and sink without changing kitchen around is it best to get a carpenter or kitchen fitter

Sorry I got info wrong - the Units will need to be replaced altogether rather than just the doors renewing. But new units will need to fit in same places around the already existing pipework/electric sockets etc.

16 Answers from MyBuilder Kitchen Fitters

Best Answer

Use a joiner as they are qualified tradesmen, unlike kitchen fitters. A joiner will carry out the job doing any extra joinery work required, Where as a kitchen fitter will not and may need to call a joiner to finish off


Answered 14th Mar 2011

Obviously from the replies you have received there is a little war going on between kichen fitters and carpenters/joiners. A good joiner can fit a kitchen and likewise a good kitchen fitter can turn his/her hand to most joinery. As in most cases personal reccomedation is usually the safest bet.

cheers, Bruce.


Answered 29th Dec 2012

Hi, they're often one and the same, however a Kitchen fitter is often quicker!



Answered 12th Mar 2011

Hi,they are often one or the same..I give discounts to oap's if that helps?


Answered 12th Mar 2011

I am a qualified joiner I am also an experienced kitchen fitter the difference between the two is the qualification. most kitchen fitters come from a joinery background like myself and take pride in their work. Others may not. you cannot go to college to become a kitchen fitter as far as I am aware but there are courses to learn how to do basic joinery skills and butt and scribe joints for kitchen worktops my advice to you therefore is to go along to your local Howdens or Magnet and ask for the number of a reputable kitchen fitter. also ensure that any gas work needed is done by a Gas safe engineer and electrics by a part P minimum qualified electrician. they should pass a card on to you. who knows you might even save a fortune on the kitchen buying at trade prices.


Answered 15th Mar 2011

id say kitchen fitter. most kitchen fitters will have basic joinery skills. but will be able to do all the work needed to fit ur kitchen. also a kitchen fitter does this job all the time so will know how to get round problem for you, and will have all the tools need. ie. work top jig so no need for jointing strips.


Answered 14th Mar 2011

A kitchen fitter is exactly that a kitchen fitter.He has the tools and the skill to complete the job properly including all the associated works like the plumbing which a chippy cant or wont do.A kitchen fitter knows all the potencial problems even before hes got to the job and knows to expect some issues to arise. my money is on the kitchen fitter to fit a kitchen


Answered 27th Mar 2011

My advise to anyone when employing a tradesman to carry out any works and in your case a kitchen to be fitted.
You have to be able to trust the people that you deal with.
1, Did they turn up on time to carry out a site survey.
2, Their dress code and if they turn up in their works van ( is it clean and tidy ) and if so, in my opinion would have a reflection on their works.
3, Check references, certificates for Electrics and Gas.


Answered 14th Mar 2011

Answer to your question is a kitchen fitter to do the work.Kitchen fitters are by far the quickest and tidyist.Carpenters want everything done for them and charge to much for what they do.Use a carpenter and pay the price!


Answered 13th Mar 2011

a kitchen fitter would be better.all aspects of the work required would be covered.hope this helps..paul


Answered 12th Mar 2011

yes she will be better to get someone in to do it,joiner,tradesman etc,if it was just to swap to new doors/drawers then that would be much easier...hope this helps.mark


Answered 12th Mar 2011

Hi, we would advise finding either a specialist kitchen fitter or joiner who comes by way of recommendation. Please ask to see evidence of their previous work and check to ensure they have public liability insurance. You should also be aware that if electrical or gas work is involved then they or their electrician/gas fitter will need to be registered accordingly and provide you with a certificate following the installation.


Answered 13th Mar 2011

A joiner is more expensive than a kitchen fitter but a builder is just as good and can also be cheaper than a kitchen fitter. Arguably, it is not a difficult job removing and replacing units/worktops. I guess it depends on your budget.


Answered 13th Mar 2011

My advise is to use a kitchen fitter as they will have all the right tools and do this kind of work all the time.



Answered 15th Mar 2011

In my opinion anyone should be able to fit a kitchen from start to finish, plastering,plumbing,tiling,flooring,worktop joints,sinks taps ect. and been able to prep everything for the electricians.
eg.chasing out,fit back boxes ect,and any other prep work ready for gas work by registered installers.The fitter should no the position of everything going in the kitchen and set it out perfect and spot any problems before they become big ones.


Answered 18th Dec 2014

Qualified Joiner should know all Joinery anyway.


Answered 1st Nov 2016

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories