Extensions Question

Replacing existing lean to conservatory with extension, but neighbour has built off our wall.


I'm in the process of buying a house which I have lived in for the past 3 years. The existing lean to conservatory was poorly built and has a leaking roof and single skin walls. My plans when purchasing the property are to replace this conservatory with a 3m single story extension. I'm a mid terrace property and the current conservatory boundary wall has been shared by our neighbour who has built their plastic roofed lean to from.

I'm aware of the party wall act but I don't believe this wall is a party wall and is in fact built on the edge of our boundary. The existing single skin wall would need to be rebuilt as the footings aren't adequate for a cavity wall and the extension will be 3m whereas the existing conservatory is only 1.5m How does this work with my neighbour that has built of this wall I need to rebuild?

Do I have to leave the wall in place to support their conservatory?
Do i request them to rebuild their conservatory?
Do i just rip down the wall and let their building fall to pieces....

I'm just looking for some initial advice. I'm yet to have the surveyor round and appoint a solicitor for the purchase but would be good to have some info ahead of time to know what to expect.


1 Answer

Best Answer

Hi kraj_44,

The wall and conservatory would fall under "building regulations for temporary buildings" and please definitely don't " just rip down the wall and let their building fall to pieces" ...:)

Take the friendly neighbourly approach and present the works you are planning to carry out to the property to your neighbour, you might be pleasantly surprised and they might change the support system for the plastic roof.

Ideally they will cover the costs for works done on their property, but you being the one wanting to make the changes stay opened to covering some of the costs or for the contractor to re-suport roof to the new extension wall...

Avoid friction if possible :)...

Dan P.

Answered 22nd Mar 2017

Geros Building Contractor Ltd

Member since 9 Mar 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions