Fencing Question

Rotton post, needs replacing

I have a wooden fence with a rotten post (75mm square). I have removed the fence panels either side and the post came out easily with its below ground section being about 6" of severely soggy, rotten wood. The post was originally set in concrete and so I now have a concrete lined hole. Having dug the rotted wood down to a depth of about 16" it appears to be soggy earth deeper than this.

I assume the best option is a metal post holder. Should I use post holder that is concreted in ( like www.wickes.co.uk/concrete-in-post-support/invt/540561/ ) and if so should I use postcrete for it? Or should I use a bolted down holder?

One other factor is that the hole is close to a buried water pipe probably one foot away if its run is perpendicular to the house wall

Many thanks, driving it in with grease worked a treat.

3 Answers

If you have a nice square hole, easist way is slide another post in, might want a bit of grease on, and bang in with a post rammer.
If you use the post clamp (bolt downs) you will need to fill the hole in with concrete, when its cured, use thunder bolts to fix down.

Answered 14th Nov 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

The best option is to break our the existing concrete, then reset a new pressure treated post into the ground ensuring that the post is sitting on a layer of new concrete, then toping up to ground level with concrete. Make sure that the new concrete is gently sloping away from the new post. Metal post holders are not used by professional fencing contractors like ourselves. I hope this helps.

Answered 13th Dec 2011

wrights fencing limited

Member since 13 Dec 2011

i wldnt use met post holders as they only sa strong as the ground around them , i wld say it does sound like th may be a leak from your water pipe making the ground to wet but what i wld say is that i wld use longer posts ie 3ft in the grond as aposed to 2ft in the ground and when concreting the posts in the ground try not to make toff round the posts as water will collect around the posts and sit in it try set the concrete round the posts so the water is able to run of ir and wld also not concrete aroun the old concrete its got to com out and have fresh put but if you didnt wat to dig it out and u had a smaller panel than the rest of the panels then start your fence that end and you miss all the old holes

Answered 12th Jan 2012

AFFORDABLE fencing/landscapes

Member since 11 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Fencers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions