Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Do i need a structure engineer to design the retaining wall


I want to convert my front garden into driveway. I want to lower the level of ground for car parking hence I will build a retaining wall surround the driveway. The restianing wall should lower than 1 metre.
My question is: Do I need a structure engineer to design it for me?

Thank you
Kind regards
Qiang Tang

2 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Hi Qiang,
Depending on what type of house it is (detached, semi-detached, terraced) and how deep your foundation and your house distance and height of the entrance from the public road pavement, you may need a planning permission and building control notice. You will need the scaled drawings of the site and the structural engineer's detailed technical retaining wall drawings. You will also need party wall agreement with your neighbors if their foundation is within 3m of your driveway. Hope this helps.


Answered 18th Nov 2016

To be successful, retaining walls need to have a careful design. Their performance is very dependent on the ground conditions, both the ground being retained and the ground supporting the wall. The size of the base will largely depend on the ground conditions and will usually be between a third and two-thirds the height of the wall.


Answered 13th Apr 2017

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories