Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Buying a house

We are currently in the process of trying to buy a house, which is owned by a FMB member. He has already done some renovations including fitting a new boiler, bathrooms, plumbing and electrical work (some of the latter done by an NICEIC member).
Although the builder has been doing this work for 4 years and currently lives in the house he claims on the basis of some remaining decorative work that the renovations are still in progress and that consequently he doesn't need to provide either Building Regulations or completion certificates for any of the work, nor has he provided any receipts or warranties.
We offered the full asking price after being assured by him that there were guarantees for everything.
Is there anything we can/should do at this stage?

6 Answers

Best Answer

Do not listen to him I have met quite a few customers who have been given very good advice from people selling their house they says all is ok
But it usually isn't and it has cost them many thousands of pounds in having heating sorted and almost always loads of rewiring carried out. do not trust this person if he cannot produce the right paperwork then odds on he is avoiding doing it correctly if he can cheat the building control then you stand no chance at all.
Just like VAT avoidance if you trust someone who is dishonest then you are asking to be ripped off.
I hope this helps if so click the like button
Thanks kelvin

Answered 7th Nov 2011


Member since 9 Oct 2008

FMB member doesn't mean a great deal...Certainly don't offer full asking price if you are unsure of what you are buying. I think you are playing into the builders hands...The surveyor should pick this up...and your solicitor certainly will do when it comes to exchanging contracts.

Answered 8th Nov 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

I think that you should suggest to him that you will contact the FMB to ask them what they think of this.Whilst being an FMB member doesnt mean a great deal,as said by Hampshire Carpentry.I cant imagine them being impressed by one of their members coming out with such crap.

Answered 8th Nov 2011

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

You should point all this out to your surveyor before signing anything.
You will need a Gas Safety check done.
Electrical test.
If hes done any structural work, this should have went through Building Control and a completition certificate issued.
Him saying, there are gaurantees for everything I would take with a pinch of salt.
It sounds as if by telling you the works are in progress, so he doesnt need any building regs or completion certificates, the onus would fall on you, how do you know the works have been carried out correctly and to the regs.
If you want to buy the house, tell him to finish the works and provide all relevant paper work.
Your surveyor should have picked this all up.

Answered 7th Nov 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

buy another house,

refused to become a member of the fmb as ive spend a lot of time fixing there members mistakes

Answered 7th Nov 2011

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

If he's had new boiler, new electrics etc then he should have the relevant certificates from GasSafe, Electrical part P etc. If any major structural alterations have been done then building control should have been involved and paperwork to sign off would be part and parcel of that process.
Just because the job is a work in progress doesn't relieve him of his responsibility to ensure that the work is done to the correct standards and the relevant paperwork be provided as evidence of that.
Your surveyor and solicitor should have picked this up.
If you proceed without the paperwork and you come to sell, the onus will be on you to provide the documentation to the new buyers.

Answered 10th Nov 2011

DS Interior Services Limited

Member since 8 Sep 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions