Architectural Services Question

Internal changes


We are buying a chalet bungalow from an old couple who has been living there for nearly 40 years. This is a closed space with lots of doors.

We would like to make it more open with less doors. I have confirmed with surveyor that the wall we are hoping to open is not weight bearing.

Do we need a planning permission or inform council about the work do internally. Please note we are not doing anything to alter outward structure.

We are particularly careful if we were to sell again they new buyer will ask for whether planning procedures have been adhered to. We had to get a indemnity insurance last time even though we didn't do any work at our previous house.

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Dan,
Unless the building is listed - you are fine to reorganise the space internally without planning permission or similar.

Answered 4th Aug 2016

Crowley Architectural Services

Member since 11 Feb 2016

As long as the building isn't listed and you aren't making any external changes to the property, you can make as many changes as you like internally.
If the property is a listed building then you would need to seek listed building consent from the Council.

Answered 18th Aug 2016

Richardson Architectural Design

Member since 17 Aug 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions