Conversions - General Question

Need advice on extending kitchen into dining room, taking out dividing wall


We're hoping to buy our first home and want to break down an interior wall between the kitchen and dining room.

Room dimensions:

Kitchen - 3.33 x 2.41m

Dining room- 3.44 x 3m

it is the 3.33m wall that would need to be removed. We would love to have these combined as it will open up the whole rear side of the house.

We could use advice on:

1. What do we do first to break through an interior wall?
2. Who can we ask to do this kind of work?
3. How long would it take to remove the wall?
4. We will need someone to remove our old kitchen and put in a new kitchen and decorate the combined room. Would we need separate people for these different jobs and who do we need to approach?
5. Where should we look for advice on room layout? Would this be an additional cost?
6. Where should we start with a job like this?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you for your help!

Mr and Mrs F

2 Answers

Best Answer

hi lee from complete building

first you need a good genral building to tell you if it is a supporting wall. then a sturcual engineer to work out steel loads (£140 ) the wall it self should come down and steel up in 3days this is with making good. all other works can all go on at the same time. a good builder can take care of it all

hope this helps

thanks lee

Answered 24th Oct 2011


Member since 17 Nov 2008

Most builders will be able to complete most of the work except the design and layout of new kitchen. This should be left to the kitchen design experts as they will advise on how to optimise on the space.

The dividing wall can be easily removed and is not so complicated.

If it is a structural wall then a steel will need to be added to support the upper floor wall and then it can be covered and plastered.

It should take around 1-2 days to remove wall and another 1-2 to patch and plaster.

I hope this is helpful.

Answered 28th Oct 2011

Ambux Ltd

Member since 24 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions