Ask a tradesman

Conversions - General

Turning a shop into flats.

I've just bought an old run down shop and would like to convert it into flats, will I need planning permission for this?

8 Answers from MyBuilder Conversion Specialists

Best Answer

yes you will need to apply for a change of use , but i have read that local authoritys have been advised to fast trak that kind of thing because empty comercial propertys are a drain on the economy, Because they are often vandalised , set fire to , look terrible and there is no rates etc coming in from them.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

you will need to submit new drawings and apply for planning for change of use ,you will not be able to proceed untill this is done


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Yes, You will have to apply to the council for change of use form commercial to residential. You will require plans of your proposed conversion drawnup by an architect and submit them to the local planning office for permission. Once permission is granted the plans will be re submitted with more specific detail for building regulations approval once this is passed you are ready to proceed with the conversion.


Answered 21st Feb 2011

hy my name is Tino , yes you need a plan off permision for that , beaucause you change the exterior structure for the building , and if the shop is on the high road (commercial road) the never not accept that , really sorry , but try maybe accept , this is my opinion , have a nice day


Answered 17th Feb 2011

You will require planning permission and building regulations for the conversion of yoyur property.
I suggest that you employ somebody to prepare the neccessary drawings and a schedule of work for the project.
This way when you look to appoint a contractor you will get a set of quotations that are all based on the same set of tender documentation rather than a series of variable quotes with different prices and levels of specification.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Yes you need change of use planning permission and building regs. As there are is a lot of work involved in a job this size you would be better getting drawings done so you can get set price for the work and everyone is then pricing for the same amount of work and there is also a lot of fire regulations you will have to satisfy on jobs like this thanks matt


Answered 17th Feb 2011

yes and change of use


Answered 17th Feb 2011

yes planning will be needed.and if not sure phone them.


Answered 19th Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories