Ask a tradesman


Electrical qualifications required for bathroom refit.

What qualifications should an electrician have to fit a shower and a pump in a bathroom where previously there was no shower fitted ?

Should a certificate of safety be issued ?

Is the work notifiable ?

Should the electrician be part P registered ?

Is it illegal if an unqualified person carries out this work ?

What documentation should the electrician show me to prove qualifications ?

I have been told that the electrician had NVQ level 3 and City and Guilds all 13. I have not been told what the '' all 13 '' are.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, all answers will be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

The regulations are non-statutory. They may, however be used in a court of law in evidence to claim compliance with statutory requirements. This is why we get qualified to demonstrate we are competent in the trade we work in. In relation to the bathrooms, these are classified as special locations. Therefore the work is notifiable and a certificate should be provided. The certificate should be for a new installation. In relation to qualifications I would suggest you have City & Guilds Level 3 Requirements Electrical Installations BS 7671 and the City and Guilds in Building Regulations for electrical installations in dwellings as a starter. Experience is also a key factor.
If you do not have the above and or part of a professional body you can get the council or someone qualified to sign the work off for you who is a member of a professional body or have the council sign it off who will charge a fee for this.


Answered 1st Apr 2016

Yes the electrician should be part p, yes the job is notifiable to building control, this can be done by the spark ( if part p) you should be supplied with a certificate by the electrician, then he has to notify building control on your behalf within 30 days of completion, building control then send you a compliance certificate. Please don't get this job done by anybody who claims to be "fully qualified' and no part p. Look on the register of competant electricians for those in your area. Hope this is of some help.


Answered 1st Apr 2016

Very simply the electrician should be registered on a competent persons scheme with a company such as NICEIC or ELECSA. They are government regulated and guarantee that your electrician is both insured and qualified to do the work and will register the work automatically with building control. You don't need to worry about anything else like qualifications building control insurance etc. Just ask if they are registered and with who.


Answered 3rd Apr 2016

The only right answer is the first one.The next two answers are false.
Here is the prove-
London Borough of Havering | Development, Planning and Building Control Department.
--- you can submit a building notice/full plans application online on behalf of your client at the Havering website. Please follow the link below and select Building control in the dropdown.
You will need to submit a building regulation application for this work.
A building notice should be sufficient together with the fee and proof of your qualifications.
We will then arrange a site inspection to check the electrical work.
Forms etc. are available via our website:
You need to submit the application and fee and request a visit at the start of the works.
I have checked this with the Building Inspector. You should run the cables and then get us to check it and we can take it from there.
Because you are not Part P, we will inspect the wiring. ------

So,ask your Building Control.They are very prompt in answers.


Answered 6th Apr 2016

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories