Electrical Question

Combined heat and smoke detector in kitchen/ livingroom

i currently have a heat detector in my living room / kitchen. can i use just one unit as a combined heat and smoke detector or do they have to individual units and how war do they have to be from the wall cooker etc.

4 Answers

Best Answer

Yes,you can use combined detector-please see this link-
It has to be within 1 meter from cooker,not closer than 30 cm to any light or wall.

Answered 11th Oct 2011

Elman Ltd

Member since 6 Nov 2010

I presume that the area you are trying to cover is 1 room unfortunatly to fit a combined smoke and heat detector means that either smoke or heat will activate it.
Cooking in the area will activate the smoke detection part (false alams) therfore it is not advisable to install smoke detection in a Kitchen area only a fixed temperature Heat Detector would be suitable, you should cover all the escape routes with smoke detectors and any rooms containing equipment liable to cause a fire such as Tv's
I hope this helps if it does hit the like button

Answered 11th Oct 2011


Member since 9 Oct 2008

Hi you can use 1 unit as long as it is a combi smoke and heat but we would recommend just a heat detector if the living room kitchen is one room as a smoke detector in the kitchen area could be triggered by burnt toast etc.
Ideally the detector should be as close to the centre of the room as possibel and at least 300mm from any light fitting,wall, cupboard etc.
Hope this helps.

Sparkright Electrical Services

Answered 11th Oct 2011

Sparkright Electrical Services

Member since 15 Aug 2011

Combined smoke and heat detectors are available but i wouldn't fit one in a kitchen area. Heat detectors would be fitted in a kitchen and smoke alarms in circulation areas, e.g. hallways and landings. If you put a smoke alarm in or near to a kitchen in an open plan apartment you'd have the alarm triggering regularly. No specific guidlines as to how far from the cooker other than not directly above it. Unit needs to be at least 300mm from the wall and the same from any light fittings.

Answered 11th Oct 2011

Mr Wires

Member since 7 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions