Restoration & Refurbishment Question

On completion of these renovation work, what certificates should the builder provide ? who applies for building regs ? is a registered builder qualified to deceide the size/type of lintels required ?

The 2 jobs are installing a door in an internal solid wall, and french doors in an external wall.

4 Answers

In simple terms a registered builder would not be qualified to decide the type and size of lintels. However the manufacturer of the lintel would have designed the lintels for particular situations and we would rely on this as part of our warrantee. The time when this might be more important is if it is more than a simple domestic installation eg if it was flats with multiple storeys and therefore greater imposed loads on the lintel. In this case we would involve a structural engineer.

If we were pricing this scheme, we would include a building control fee, which would cover the windows and the lintel installation. Building control would issue the completion certificate.

Answered 10th Oct 2011

F Geo Robinson (Coventry) Ltd

Member since 5 Jan 2010

Hi! the certificate can be obtained by either the builder or the customer. Generally most builders are capable of deciding what lintels say a door opening would need but its advisable to get a structural calculation to justify it.

Answered 10th Oct 2011


Member since 1 Sep 2011

Certificates for the builder to provide are gas and electric and any warranties on appliances.
Either can apply for building regs. Preferably the client.
Lintels for windows and doors yes but an engineer is required to size structural steel.

Answered 10th Oct 2011

Michael Murphy Builder

Member since 26 Nov 2009

Hi. It is advisable to have all structural alterations inspected by building control officer before it is all plastered up . However the costs need to be added onto the build and not just an afterthought before payment is made it is the homeowners responsibility to ask for this at the outset , and all good builders should also make you aware of this . Dependant on
Locality you may need to wait a few days for an inspection . Most reputable builders will know what size lintel is required for your jobs and will only require structural calculations for larger jobs that require steel beams etc Hope this helps. Emmpire construction ltd

Answered 10th Oct 2011

M N M Projects Limited

Member since 22 Apr 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions