Conversions - General Question

Changes internally, can i add and extra story?

What changes can I make internally? I'd like to add an extra story, my property isn't listed by the way.

5 Answers

Best Answer

You can make any internal alterations internally as long as they are not stryctural. If they are structural you will require a structural engineers calculations and building control approval. If you want to go up a story ie. convert a loft you will only require planning permission if you build outside of the roof space for example a dormer window. If you have the space and dont need a dormer, you can fit velux windows for light but you will still require building regulations approval.

Answered 21st Feb 2011

Sam Sines Building & Project Management

Member since 27 Jul 2008

You can make what changes you like to your property and adding a storey need planning permision,,,

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Architecural construction

Member since 28 Mar 2010

You can, your need planning permission but consult an architect and contact you local building control before outlining any exspenses.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Able Right

Member since 5 Feb 2009

No planning is required for internal alterations, as long as you do not make any external alterations. You will require Building Regs if making any structural alterations. If you require any plans for planning purposes or building regs email, a very fast and affordable service.
Company has over 20 brances and covers most of the UK.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Builder4u - do it all

Member since 20 May 2008

No feedback

Alterations can be done internally, providing you have permission from building control. Architects and strutural engineers are needed for calculations, which need to be sent to building control for approval. Likewise for any extension, also.
Van Biene Builders

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Van Biene Buildres

Member since 26 Jan 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions