Kitchen Fitting Question

Take out kitchen, knock wall out, install new kitchen

Just looking for some guidance on a project. I would like to potentially knock a supporting wall through between my kitchen and dining room to make a big kitchen diner but at the moment there are kitchen units on the separating wall. I'm be looking for someone to remove the kitchen currently in place, the wall to be knocked through (with an RSJ installed) and then have a completely new kitchen/diner fitted. I assume the kitchen removal/fitting jobs would have to be completed by different tradesmen to the RSJ install but how would I go about it, would I just book a fitter to remove the kitchen then come back a few days later to install after the RSJ has been fitted and made right (plastering etc)? I'm assuming this is how it would work but if anyone can shine a bit of light on it that would be a great help - just want to get it straight in my head before selling the idea to the wife!!


3 Answers

Best Answer

Hello, you will need to get building regulations approval to knock out the wall, is it is a load bearing wall you will need an architect/structural engineer to get the calculations done to establish the beam specifications. One this is done the order the work should go in is as follows: removal of old kitchen, knock out wall and support if required, any wiring and plumbing alterations if required, skimming, painting and decorating, flooring and finally the kitchen installation. This is the most efficient way to get the work done. You can either hire out separate tradesmen or alternatively get a company that has separate tradesmen for all the skilled trades required to complete your job. Getting one company t project manage will minimise your stress as you won't need to juggle around dates to get everyone in at the right times as this will be done for you giving you a good flow while the job runs and an efficient completion.

Answered 27th May 2016

STS Kitchen & Bedroom Fitters

Member since 21 Jan 2015

No feedback

Hi, firstly you need to think is it a supporting wall as from the description it does not sous like it is to me. It may be a solid wall but old construction and not be supporting at all. Like with most jobs of this nature a set of eyes on the job is essential. There are plenty of trades that could do the whole job and deal with one person.
Exceeding Exoectations

Answered 9th Feb 2016

Exceeding Expectations

Member since 7 Feb 2016

If the wall is load bearing you will need to contact someone like myself to submit an application to building standards for permission
I'm in Glasgow. John

Answered 9th Feb 2016

J C H Design

Member since 28 Jan 2015

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions