Handyman Question

Hi, what should fire proof door include to comply with the regulation bs476, part 22, 1987? after installation can the builder who installed it certify himself that the new door is fire proof?

Hi, our landlord has installed a new fire door which he had to do to comply with the regulation BS476, Part 22, 1987. He has used his regular builder to replace the old door. I noticed he has installed new thick door but fitted the existing door furniture i.e existing lock, letter box, hinges etc.. I read on internet that the fire doors should be with some specification like with intumescent fire and smoke strips, self closing hinges or fire proof door closer etc to make it comply with the regulation. Can the local builder who fitted the door give us certificate that the door is fire safe at existing condition? Can the builder now put intumescent fire and smoke strips, door closer, intumescent letter box on the new door and then certify that the door is fire proof according to the regulation BS476, Part 22, 1987? If he can certify then what he should include in his letter/certification?

Please give expert advise so we can decide either to replace existing new door or to upgrade the new door. Thanks

5 Answers

Best Answer

Intumescent strips, Letter boxes and closers can all be fitted to the existing door. I know im an electrician but currently working on fire alarm upgrades alond side joiners doing that to all the existing fire doors. not sure about certification

Answered 5th Mar 2011

AGB Building Services

Member since 7 Aug 2010

The compliance is on a manufacture - simply buy the door sold as `fire`door. There are different categories depending on how long the door withstand fire. Which u need should say your blueprint. When installing there needs to door closer (keeps door closed) so u then u will need :) a door stopper :)) lol to keep it open if the door are to ur kitchen.

Answered 5th Mar 2011

jakub navratil

Member since 20 Jun 2010

intumescent strips must be fitted to fire door to comply with regs for landlords fitting just the fire door is not enough. Door closer can be fitted and use the old hinges and only cost a few pounds each and the strips are about 10 pound per door.There are 2 types of strip fire+smoke or smoke which to use depends on the type of property flats or house.The new door will have a fire rateing norm 30mins thats as long as strips have been fitted

Answered 8th Mar 2011

24/7 homecare

Member since 2 Jan 2011

fire doors are usualy situated inside a building to compartment vital areas such as escape roots stair cases etc external doors don,t normaly have to be fire doors i have not come across fire doors with letter plates instaled in them generaly all fire doors have to be certified by the manufacturer have intumesent strip fitted to the door or frame and have self closers fitted

Answered 9th Mar 2011


Member since 24 Jan 2011

No feedback

Hi in Scotland it s building control that would tell you what type of door and self closing hinges or a perco door closer or a Briton over head door closer the letter box should be intumescent and had have a min of half hour fire hold the door depending on where it is as you said it had a letter box I assume it is the front door and this should come per routed with a ten millimetre channel to take the intumescent strip and as it is the front door is would have to be fire and smoke the builder cannot give you a certificate to say it is a fire door this will be stamped on the top or bottom of the door to give its rating from the manufacture not the builder .

Allan. HJA

Answered 29th Oct 2014

HJA Joiners and Handyman Services

Member since 31 Jan 2014

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Handymen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions