Electrical Question

Is a meter replacement necessary for certified electrical work


Just had a builder round for a quote on a kitchen job.

he said the sparky would probably need to replace the meter before doing any work. the meter looks OK to me, it's digital so if it's recent why would it need replacing? And isn;t that the job of the power supplier?

He mentioned something about trip switched but it went over my head.

what should I be looking out for here to make sure my builder is talking bull?


6 Answers

Best Answer

are you sure he asked you about the meter and not your fuse box.
If it is your meter then by no means can anyone remove or replace it but your elec supplier.
as for the trip switch all new fuse boxes have to be double rcd,i would consider contacting your power supplier and informing them!!!!!!!!
all the best gary

Answered 6th Oct 2011

GDJ Building & Joinery Ltd

Member since 19 Apr 2010

he probably meant the consumer unit as the meter is the responsibilty of the power supplier. If your consumer unit does not have an rcd fitted then you will most certainly require a new one and possibly upgrading of the main bonding and meter tails, regards Terry.

Answered 6th Oct 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

The electrician can't replace the meter. This belongs to the energy supplier. I should think that he ment the consumer unit (fuse board).
If you are unsure I would suggest that you get an indipendent electrican to have a look and give you some advise.
Please remember to look for an electrican who is registered with the NIC EIC,NAPIT or ELECSA. The best way to look for an electrican is from the the competent persons website.
Hope this helps.

Answered 6th Oct 2011

C J Richards Electrical

Member since 28 Sep 2008

sounds like your builder is correct,if it is the old style fuse box,every kitchen we have fitted with the old fashioned fuse board our electrician would fit rcd unit in meter cupboard which would trip if any faults develop,this is usuall y kept seperate from the rest of the system,then the kitchen is also safe and so are you.

if you need to re-assure yourself pay for a survey from a reputable company with the niecc

Hope this has helped you

Answered 6th Oct 2011

The Bathroom & Heating Co Ltd

Member since 12 Nov 2010

No electrician can change your meter, only the electricity board can do this..... He may have meant that you need a new consumer unit as testing can not be carried out on a system without trip switches

Answered 6th Oct 2011

House Doctors

Member since 13 Jul 2011

Tell your kitchen fitter to do his kitchen work,he doesn't know anything about electrical work!
No spark is allowed to touch the meter-this is a job for the electricity board,as it is theirs,not yours!
The builder is talking what you rightly said,what is after the meter is more important,if you have one of the older types consumer units-rewireable fuses,or it doesn't have RCD(RCCB)protection,then thats needs to be upgraded,not the meter.
And ask the electrician about his part P registration,his number and which scheme is he part of.Then ring them and double check his registration.
Make sure you get a part P certificate if the electrical work is needed.

Hope this helps!

Answered 6th Oct 2011

Elman Ltd

Member since 6 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions