Plumbing Question

The area around the flu for my boiler apparently lacking a proper filling or seal on the inside and outside. what does this area need doing? does this need somebody with a gas safe reg?

4 Answers

Best Answer

the flu needs to be sealed correctly to prevent spent products of combustion from re-entering the premises,you would be better off using a gas safe reg engineer and he would check and maybe service the boiler at the same time to make sure you are completely safe and would issue you with a ticket to say so,then you will have peace of mind.

dont take chances with gas

Answered 6th Oct 2011

The Bathroom & Heating Co Ltd

Member since 12 Nov 2010

here we go again!the reason why a flue has to be sealed is to stop any products of combustion entering the property and causing anyone harm!!use fire rated foam or sand and cement to seal.should have been done on installation.Then again there is a mass of JOHN WAYNES out there if you get my drift.tom clydebank plumbing&heating

Answered 6th Oct 2011

clydebank plumbing and heating

Member since 14 Apr 2011

The wall around the flue needs to be sealed, both internally and externally. You can do this yourself. You do not need a registered engineer.
Usually we seal externally with sand and cement mortar and plaster or filler on the inside.
Hope this helps.

Answered 6th Oct 2011


Member since 3 Nov 2010

I totally agree with the bathroom and heating answer I could not answer it any other way

Answered 22nd Nov 2016

Crown Building Solutions

Member since 22 Nov 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions