Bricklaying Question

Is a cavity tray required at dpc level,i allways thought no but other builder seems to think different

8 Answers

Best Answer

There isnt normally a cavity tray at dpc level, unless in instances where the likes of a Radon Barrier is required, which should overlap inner wall, cavity and outer wall.
You would then need a cavity tray above with weep holes.

Answered 4th Oct 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

A Cavity tray Dpc may be required at low level...IF the exterior finished ground level is less than 150mm(6") below Dpc. A traditional 4" Dpc is installed at normal internal height to inner skin, and a long Dpc from the same level external to 9" (or more) above on the inner skin, providing a vertical Dpc to prevent penetrating Damp.

Answered 4th Oct 2011


Member since 19 Jul 2011

Hi yes the fitting of a damp proof tray. If it's a timberframe structure you have to cut the building paper, top half of the dpc tray has to get tucked under building paper then stapled on, bottom half draped over the cavity onto the outerleaf, 6" above ground level, vents are spaced out so any passing of mosture can be cured.
hope this is as a help
ps allways dpc should stay the same as outside and inside masonary

Answered 4th Oct 2011

Keystone Building Services

Member since 4 Oct 2011

cavity trays are usually fitted above lintels etc to divert moisture,and water retention

Answered 4th Oct 2011

The Bathroom & Heating Co Ltd

Member since 12 Nov 2010

It would depend on type of foundation/raft you have , if it's a standard strip foundation I would say no but a raft I would say most definitely

Answered 4th Oct 2011

d fearon bricklaying contractor

Member since 23 Sep 2009

No feedback

It all depends on the floor detail

Answered 4th Oct 2011


Member since 8 Sep 2011

more details of the job/site would need to be known before a definitive comment could be made, new build? old property? timber frame? stone property? parapet wall?

Respect Chris

Answered 15th Oct 2011


Member since 7 Dec 2009

Cavity trays are standard . Please refer to your building regs .
Rowlock bwk

Answered 23rd Oct 2011

Darren Mottershead

Member since 14 Feb 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions