Carpentry & Joinery Question

Gaps in skirting and architraves

I have had skirting and architraves installed but there are huge gaps between them and the walls. What do I fill them with that will be best in the long run and wont crack....silicon, wood filler,cork,car body filler ;-) - anything?

I wont be painting the wood coloured skirting, architraves etc and will probably be waxing or clear varnishing them.

Thank you

9 Answers

Best Answer

How big are the gaps ? Here's 2 options (1)if up to 8mm i would use caulk, mask skirting let it dry if it has sunk then re-do it again using a small scraper to keep it tidy,Paint caulk same colour as walls.
(2)fit a small timber bead on top of skirting to cover gaps finish
same as skirting
Never Never silicone to be painted

Answered 5th Mar 2011

MSL Home Improvements

Member since 3 Mar 2011

decorators chalk is probably your best bet, use it in a gun, cut the end of the nozzle at a slight angle, position the nozzle on the gap so that the angle is level with the gap, pump it along the top of the skirting board/ architrave and use your finger or a slightly dampened paint brush or sponge to smooth it, wipe off excess from the wood before it dries with a wetter cloth/sponge/brush to give you a good surface to varnish/wax. it is easier to wipe it off as you go than let it dry and have to sand it. if it is very thick it will shrink a little so you may have to build it up in layers but it dries fairly quickly so better thin layers than thick as they will not shrink as much. not silicon, can't paint it. wood filler or car filler too expensive and hard to work, polyfiller or plaster- too messy and will probably crack. I hope that helps.

Answered 5th Mar 2011

Proline Fencing & Landscapes

Member since 8 Jun 2010

Use a flexible decorators caulk, comes in a tube, you need the mastic gun as well.
Cut tip to thickness of joint, hold tight to joint skirting/wall and run good bead round.
Either use damp sponge or wetted finger to smooth out and remove excess.
You probably can get a colour to match, but can be painted over.

Answered 5th Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi sul,
how has the skirting & architrave been fixed?
Nailed/screwed or no-nails adhesive?
If no-nails has been used(especially a lot of it)this can cause the gaps you have as it will be difficult to get the skirting flush to the wall.
Also,have you had your walls re-plastered?
I've seen some really untidy work from plasterers where they leave a ridge of plaster at the bottom of the wall and this can cause the skirting to step off the wall as well.
I would suggest trying if possible to solve the cause of the gaps first to see if you can get your skirting and architraves flush as possible to the wall before resorting to do any filling.

Hope this helps,

Answered 5th Mar 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

My advice to you would be ,ring the chap that fitted it and get him back to do the job properly

Answered 8th Mar 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

Hi, if you tape up edges of skirting and architraves and use decorators caulk, run a damp sponge over caulk and pull tape off .

Answered 5th Mar 2011

Head property maintenance

Member since 14 Jul 2008

you'll find it best to use a silicone sealant, you can get a huge range of colours, screwfix is a good place to start.
If you apply this at the very end of all painting work as the finishing touch... use a bit of washing up liquid on your finger
when you smooth the sealant down.
I would recommend this system if your skirtings are to be clear varnished, wax etc.. caulk is good if your using a wood stain that can cover it!!......

Answered 5th Mar 2011


Member since 26 Oct 2008

If you were to be painting them i would recommend sikaflex as it sticks, its flexable, doesn't crack and also paintable, but as you are vanishing or staining the the best thing to do is plaster out the walls to close the gaps or get them fitted correctly,
good luck

Answered 5th Mar 2011

tom harveyassociates

Member since 30 May 2010

use nateral wood chalking very similar to the decorator chalk used for laminate flooring .or use a nateral wood filler but i reccomend option 1

Answered 5th Mar 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions