Ask a tradesman


Minor works certificate

I wanted to understand the rules are minor electrical works, what comes under Minor Works Certificate, Building Control Notification, Part p, etc. If we had some works done, does this need a certificate?

Would the following works require any sort of certificate or testing upon completion of the work? (ie alterations to existing circuits, extensions, etc)

-There was some new wiring put in in the bedroom under the floor boards
-new wall sockets with new wiring (not a spur)
- new wall lights with new wiring (and new switches) and
relocating light in a ceiling
-new ceiling light with new wiring
-re-organising all the 2 way wiring for the upstairs & downstairs hallway lights, including removing one light switches & wiring completely
- replacing existing socket faces with new ones
- replacing pendant lights with alternative ceiling lights

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

I am new in the business as well as an electrician, normally if I am doing a small/minor works even changing the new socket , I still do issue a minor work certificate this is to certify that you alter/repair the socket and that the socket is safe to use. If you are adding a circuit e.g. light or ring then you have to do a proper minor report. I normally use the old FORM 5 MINOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION WORKS CERTIFICATE. seek advice from your electrical bodies where you registered at e.g. ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC their technical support will surely guide you. Just remember, you should have a record even how small is the alteration or rectification to prove that it is safe to use. As I mention that I am new in the business , I might be wrong. Have a Happy New year.


Answered 28th Dec 2015

All that is now notifies me to Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations, are new consumer units (fuse board), new circuits, any work in a special location (bathrooms, shower rooms, swimming pools etc).

A new consumer unit or circuit should be accompanied by an Electrical Installation Certificate, whereas all the other bits should ideally be accompanied by a Minor Works Certificate. The latter rarely happens, as it's added expense which will then be passed on to the customer, and most electricians will simply perform the relevant tests and satisfy themselves that the circuits which they are altering, are safe.


Answered 30th Dec 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories