Conversions - General Question

New openings.

I'm having a barn conversion done. Can I insert new openings?

4 Answers

Best Answer

If you contact your local council they will probably ask you to fill in a pre-planning enquirey form and send it in (it's free!!). When you have done this they will probably vist and let you know. The work may not need planning but will need to pass building regs.

Answered 18th Feb 2011

Wilkinson Estate Management

Member since 5 Nov 2010

If the building is listed then there are restrictions as to what you can change. Generally internal reconfiguration does not need planning, a permanant change to the externall envelope did use to have planning permission however recent changes to the regulations have allowed certain permitted development.
There is a website that may be of help however a call to the local authority should clarify what is permissable in your case.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

BBC Home Improvements Ltd

Member since 22 May 2008

Yes with local authority's consent.

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 20 May 2010

only when you have contacted the local authority's and they have give you the all clear then you will no that it would be safe to insert new opening's i hope this has helped.

boudicca builders & maintenance ltd.

Answered 18th Feb 2011

boudicca builders

Member since 16 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions