Ask a tradesman


Builder unable to give eic or eicr on new extension

Builder told us he was NICEIC registered (logo used on quote and contract too) but turns out he wasn't. His labourer did all the wiring in a new extension cooker, hob, showers and put in a new circuit board. He has been unable to provide any electrical certificate. At one point he tried to get a non approved electrician to provide a certificate. labourer didn't know what he was doing, no fan over runs, spotlights are 1 cm from joists ch thermostat is not connected to heating.
My questions are if the house burns down are we still on the builders insurance? He left the electrics live are we legal in trying to cook for Xmas or can we bill him for meals?
What should we do next to try and get this lot certified?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

You need very urgently to contact as soon as possible the competent persons scheme provider with which your selection of tradesman were said to be registered with.
In this instance as you inform me, correct me if i am wrong , this is the NICEIC.
As a registered member myself D110681, the NICEIC will be able to help you with your inquiry , and give advice with local authority building control regarding certification of the electrical works carried out .
you can contact the NICEIC as a matter of urgency online by inquiry e mail and also collect thier telephone deatails to ring them monday morning if required.


Answered 6th Dec 2015

Plus advise trading standards


Answered 8th Dec 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories