Loft Conversions Question

I want a loft conversion to use as a bedroom, i want it still done to building regs with a staircase, velux fire escape but do not want 2 go thro planning .will this make our home insurance void?

4 Answers

Best Answer

The best way of doing it is going for permited build that way you do not need planning just building regs .That way you are covered, as long you are not in a conservation area , or if you are not having a dormer you can go for permited build.

Answered 23rd Sep 2011

Platinum Construction

Member since 15 Feb 2011

You should check out the advice at the planning portal, do I need planning permission, an interactive guide. It shows you the permitted development rules. You should be able to make decisions in most cases so you dont require planning permission. However, if you come to sell the house in the future you may need to prove that you didnt need planning permission. In which case you should consider applying for a certificate of lawfulness from the council.

Answered 24th Sep 2011

Right Surveyors North Midlands Limited

Member since 19 Sep 2011

A general rule of thumb is that if the roof line is not altered then planning may not be needed. This will depend on many other factors though. A telephone call to your local Planning Office is your best bet.

Answered 23rd Sep 2011


Member since 12 Sep 2008

the simple answer is No this will not make your insurance void. but make sure the builder has liability insurance and that you get building regs. Make sure your drawings comply with permitted development rights.


Answered 23rd Sep 2011


Member since 27 May 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions