Conservatories Question

Building control help

I currently have an Edwardian conservatory on the back of my house and i want to replace the 2 side windows with full walls.
Do i need building control or permission to do this?

5 Answers

Best Answer

hi, always a safe bet to involve building control,
would imagine footings would need to be deeper for high walls but only a trial hole will conclude this.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

john fenton construction

Member since 21 Jan 2009

For a conservatory to be classed as such, you need a minimum of 50% glazed walls. So if by adding the solid side walls your project, the glazed is less than this figure, then it will no longer be classed as a conservatory and you need to speak to your local Building Control Officer. If it's still higher than 50%, then it's still a consevatory and is exempt from the regs.
None of this has anything to do with planning permission. If it's permitted development, then that's it, no matter what you class it as.
All councils work on the same rules, but sometimes you need to clarify certain interpretations.

Answered 17th Mar 2011

Architech Planning services

Member since 8 Jan 2009

hi,, you proberbly dont require permission but will need to involve b/c to see its done correctly and is save with whats below ground........

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Architecural construction

Member since 28 Mar 2010

Hi, all councils have different opinions on what is acceptable. As previously stated you would be best to involve them as they would still want any alterations to meet building regulations.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Assured Building Services

Member since 8 Jul 2008

The works you describe will need planing permission/permitted development, a call to your Local Authority will confirm this.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Builder4u - do it all

Member since 20 May 2008

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conservatory Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions