Plastering Question

Can you plaster over wood ?

i have an arch in the sitting room witch is not in good shape at all , i wonder if it s possible to plaster over it to make a better shape . the arch at the moment is wooden so is there a way to fix it ? thank you .

3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Fred
you can use a product call ELM its basically a sheet of metal mesh which you fix onto to wood forming the rough shape required and then plaster finish any good plasterer will know how to do this job. kind regards Dave

Answered 1st Oct 2015

D C Mcguire Interiors

Member since 14 Aug 2015

All you can do is plasterboard the entire archway and adjoining walls to the corner or ends there of , then plaster over that. This will advoid the rebuild of the archway. Also I get asked to skim over artex . This is a big no, As the wieght of the plaster does not bond to the ceiling, It eventualy falls off taking the artex with it. This will happen 95% of the time. It is worth removing artex with a paper steamer first. Thank you cpsrefurb

Answered 1st Oct 2015

Complete Property Services

Member since 16 Jul 2014

No never plaster over wood, use either Ronseal 2 Part wood filler or 'other brand' 2 part wood filler, instructions are on the pack: remove flaking wood and dust then you add hardener to the amount of paste you wish to use, it sets off within 15-20 mins so only mix in small amounts, sand down and paint after a couple of hours (build up/ fill twice on deep damage)

Answered 2nd Oct 2015

MSW Property Services

Member since 17 Oct 2014

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions