Ask a tradesman


Liability for items damaged

If my electrician is doing a rewire and breaks a few items in the property, should he offer to replace or is it considered associated risks? Not massive items, just more personal things really

4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

This is NOT 'associated risks' which must simply be accepted. Otherwise, we could all go around breaking Client's items and tell them it's just the way it is!

The Electrician should have public liability insurance to cover your loss in this case. If not, ask him what he is going to do about your loss. If he refuses to cover your loss check what trade memberships he subscribes to, as they may have a process for such a situation. Lastly, you could invoice him for your loss and if he fails to pay you could take your claim to the County Court, but I would add that you should seek professional legal advice if you intend to take any adversarial action or litigation.


Answered 11th Sep 2015

Yes the liability lies with him, that's why he has Public Liability Insurance. Ask him for his insurers details so you can request a claims form. If its a low value amount he/she may want to re-imburse you directly, especially if its less than the excess amount on the insurance policy. All this is on the assumption that he/she has insurance, although all registered competent persons require insurance for the certification schemes and its effectively illegal to work without it!


Answered 11th Sep 2015

Yes public liability insurance is the way with this one. If indeed he has any, ask for details of his insurance then submit a claim. Did you ask him before he started if he had any? I keep a copy of mine in my van in case a customer wants to see it.


Answered 11th Sep 2015

It's always nice to be offered a replacement . He should be treating your home with respect. It wouldn't have cost him a thing to request that you the owner to move things out of his work area. Professionals pay yearly for insurance to cover your losses through unintended accidents.


Answered 18th Sep 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories