Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Artex query in a property

Hello All,

I am in process of buying my first property. The homebuyer report has come back with few things which are concerning and was wondering if someone can help.

1. Roof Section: The verge edge slips beneath the tiles externally are thought to contain asbestos which may represent a health risk. You should take care when carrying out any repairs or removal.

2. Ceilings: Ceilings in the property are of plasterboard construction with mainly Artex finish.

I can see numerous articles on asbestos on multiple websites , causing more confusion. Is it worth getting asbestos management survey done to ensure if it can be a health risk, as I plan to redecorate the house at some point in future soon.

Property was built between 1980-1988


2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Sanjeev.
The article is correct. Within buildings and any construction work, anything suspected to be ACM (asbestos containing material) should be treated as asbestos. In its present state the materials in question are harmless. It's only when they are disturbed ie when drilling into it or breakages you get fibre release, is where the hazard presents itself.

There are many competent contractors that would carry our tests to ascertain if it is indeed ACM. This would involve taking a small sample under controlled conditions and putting it under the microscope in a lab. Expect to pay anywhere between £100 and £300 for a survey.
Being as the property was built in 1980, the likelihood of ACM being present is relatively high.

I hope this helps
Kind regards

Steve Ashby

Answered 21st Aug 2015

Norfolk County Building Ltd

Member since 21 Aug 2015


Get a asbestos test done? They will come and take same some samples.


Answered 19th Oct 2017

TM Carpentry and Building Solutions

Member since 25 Jul 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions