Ask a tradesman


Extending kitchen circuit

I'm currently fitting a new kitchen and would like to know if I am able to make some alterations to the ring main. Can I add an extra socket in the wall for an extractor fan and one below worktop level (accessible from a cupboard) for the gas hob ignition?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Provided you pre-notify your intentions with your local authority building control department and pay the appropriate fees, you will be granted consent to carry out DIY electrical works in your home. Once you have completed your works the LABC inspector will call and check/test the wiring and issue a Part P compliance certificate. You should ensure that you install the new cables/socket etc in accordance with the current 17th edition of the wiring regulations BS7671:2008 (most libraries have a copy). For example to comply with BS7671: 2008, the circuit will need to be RCD protected if it is not already. It is also important to ensure that ring circuit continuity tests are carried out before and after you start the works and the end to end resistances of Line, Neutral and the CPC recorded, so that it can be easily demonstrated that the circuit is wired as a continuous ring.


Answered 16th Aug 2015

Yes you can. You should put the fan and the cooker ignition on fused connection units with the right ampage for the watts being used, probably 3 amps for each, not sockets.


Answered 16th Aug 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories