Conversions - General Question

Create opening in support wall 2.7 metre wide as wide as possible support with beam or lintel to building regulation

does this fall under building regs as I am moving a door to a new position,this being a supporting wall

4 Answers

Best Answer

This sort of alteration falls under building control for two reasons the first Part A of the regs deals with structure. This is why the loadings need to be calculated by a structural engineer. Then the work needs to be inspected to ensure that the live loadings are suitably transmitted to the foundations and placed on 7 kilonewton concrete pad stones with the correct size beams to avoid deflection. Then Part B of the regs which requires that the beams are suitably fire protected to avoid deflection and warping in a fire for 1/2 hour. This is to allow safe escape from the property in the event of fire and is not designed to save the building. Fire protection can be either intumissant paints or fireline boards which are cheaper in commercial building encapsulation in concrete is also used. Solid timber can also be used as this chars in fires and does nor buckle like steel will however this method would be used in historical scenarios.
The general rule of thumb for domestic scenarios is 200mmx 100mm beams bolted together for 2 storey dwellings.
Hope this answers your question Paul BBC

Answered 14th Sep 2011

BBC Home Improvements Ltd

Member since 22 May 2008

You will need a calculated steel beam to take the load,this would have to be checked and signed off by a building inspector.

Answered 8th Sep 2011

simply lofts,extensions ltd

Member since 1 Sep 2011

Yes. Any structural openings or alterations come under building regulations.

Answered 9th Sep 2011

Tony Browne General Building

Member since 2 Feb 2010

You will need building regs and universal steel beam but the size is dependent on the loads it will carry above.

Answered 11th Sep 2011

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions