Painting & Decorating Question

What is tape & coking please?

I'm recruiting for a client and he is wanting Painters & Decorators for Coke & Taping, but unfortunately I don't know what he means. Can anyone help please?

5 Answers

Best Answer

in total agreement with roger owen & don't sand down caulk.
In fact,you don't use caulk at all when dry-lining.
You don't use caulk for filling plasterboard joints,you use jointing compound/cement.
Apply compound in the joint first,then lay paper tape over joint smooth out over joint with a drywall taping knife & allow to dry.
Then apply another layer of jointing compound over the tape & plasterboard tapered edges and smooth it out level.
Allow to dry again then sand down smooth.
Then apply Gyproc Drywall Sealer or similar product then decorate.

Hope this helps,


Answered 20th Mar 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

you dont sand caulk

Answered 2nd Mar 2011

roger owen

Member since 19 Feb 2010

No feedback

I think you mean CAULK and taping, if so this is taping up plaster board joints.
Caulk, lay tape, caulk, when dry sand down then caulk again.
Sand down again leaving a good finish ready for decorators.
This is done instead of plastering.
Hope this has answered your question.

Answered 2nd Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Taping would be for the joints in plasterboard meaning to tape the joints and apply joint compound to a flat finish. Normally the job of a taper or plasterer. Caulking is an acrylic based sealant a bit like silicone but paintable. This is usually a painters job to seal skirting etc after the joiner installs it so there are no gaps.

Answered 2nd Mar 2011

Graham Higgs Home Improvements

Member since 15 Feb 2011

No feedback

theres no way you sand caulk friends. Caulk has a rubbery compound when is dry. If you sand it , it will look terrible.
Tape is usually applied on interior and exterior cracks. Thus preventing them from reappearing. On the tape, filler or filling compound is applied and than sanded. This is done on plaster, concrete, brickwork walls but not timber.

Caulk is for edges, corners, and trims. Works on plaster, cement based walls, and timber. caulk is paintable and flexible, easy to work with and affordable. It does not requires sanding. The method of smoothing caulk is different.



Answered 16th Mar 2011


Member since 15 Sep 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions