Ask a tradesman


Replace fusebox

if an electrician fits a replacement fusebox in my kitchen should WE have permission from building regs place anywhere? and should he give me a receipt and should he fit the correct size/how many sizes are there?Thanks.
Can I insist on receipt and certificate please MO

dept. and do I need a certificate and receipt when

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

If you get a qualified electrician that is part of a recognised Scheme, i.e ECA, Elecsa, NICEIC or Napit. The Electrician will sign the certificate and notify it with the above schemes. The schemes then notify Building regs that your house has had its fuse box changed. Also if the electrician if part of these schemes all their works are inspected. If they do not comply with BS7671 then they will be told to put it right or face a non compliance with the scheme and will no longer sign work off. When the certificate is signed off you will get the original copy and they will keep a copy of the original and all certificates are traceable so you would not need a receipt, also the invoice that they provide will act as a receipt. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Oliver Smethurst
OCS Electrical Ltd


Answered 12th Jun 2015

If the electrician is a registered competent person then it is likely they will be able to self certify and notify building control on your behalf, if not then yes building control must be notified at least two weeks before you start work such as replacing a consumer unit.
It is best practice to provide a receipt or invoice for work even if you pay in cash.
It is mandatory to provide an Electrical installation certificate with a schedule of test results and a schedule of inspections when upgrading a fuse board to a modern consumer unit.


Answered 12th Jun 2015

A new fusebox would be notifiable to LABC and require certification. Your electrician should have been registered and you can check if he is on the electric safe register on line. All registered electricians should be on it. Yes the correct size fuse box should be fitted and all your existing circuits should be fully tested with results logged on on an installation certificate. the electrician should then have registered the installation with his governing body who would have issued a compliance certificate to you to go with the installation certificate you should have received.
If he is not registered then you have probably been scammed and would advise you have your installation checked by a registered electrician and you can confirm this on the electric safe register.


Answered 12th Jun 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories