Ask a tradesman


Do i need a minor works certificate for replacing an electric shower?

I have an 8.5kw electric shower at present which is no longer working, when replacing it do i need an electrician to carry out a minor works certificate upon completion?

I will be replacing it with a similar 8.5kw shower.


6 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

This is not notifiable - it is like for like replacement and is classed as maintenance. If a electrician fits your new shower yes I would expect a minor works certificate (however this is not notified to building control). However if you are competent this work can be carried out by the home owner ( like for like replacement)


Answered 12th May 2015

Hi this work is notifiable under part p of the building regulations and must be carried out by a competent person and registered with local authority


Answered 7th May 2015

Hi, as above a minor works certificate is supplied for an alteration or addition to an electrical circuit. You are not technically making an alteration or addition to the 'circuit' .. however, for the replacement of a shower unit i always issue a minor works . Wouldnt do one for a replacement socket for example but this is equipment installed within a wet environment, a few minor tests would help.


Answered 26th May 2015

Like for like you need to be COMPETENT. That doesn't mean qualified. If you're upgrading to a higher wattage then yes you'd need an electrician to check wiring. Like for like is classed as maintenance. If you create a new circuit, new wiring or change wattage then you need an electrician. Not like for like, but electricians will say EVERYTHING needs an electrician.


Answered 13th Jul 2020

Hi. I would throughly recommend you do obtain a minor works cert for the replacement in order to check all essential tests such as continuity, insulation resistance, polarity, Earth fault loop impedance and RCD are correct. As the cable supplying your shower could be old and breaking down. Hope this helps


Answered 16th May 2015

Hi, Yes you need to ask a Part P registered electrician to carry out this job.


Answered 9th May 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories