Ask a tradesman


Oven and hob installation - electrical requirements

I have had an electrician install a new consumer unit and 45A cable to the kitchen which goes into a switched junction box. There are two cables going coming out - one to the hob and one to the oven (which isn't installed yet)

I have since had someone else look at it and they said seperate 30A cables must be run back to the consumer unit and each appliance has to have its own circuit and RCD protection. The switch has also been wired upside down so when it's off its actually on (as the neon is lit) As above the first electrician fitted a 45A cable and breaker which splits into two 30A supplies via a switched junction box.

Now the actual question - who is right? Do I need seperate power feeds to the oven and hob or is a single cable capable of handling the loads of both appliances OK which then splits? Looking at the cooker's installation manual this would suggest the case.

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

It all depend on size of the cable he has run from consumer unit, if the cable its big enough you don't need 2 separate one however each appliance meet to have its own switch breaker wired correctly


Answered 6th May 2015

A standard cooker outlet at the rear of an appliance generally below work top height supplied by a standard 6mm cable protected by a standard 30A fuse/32A MCB will serve 1 cooking appliace/2 cooking appliances within 2mtrs of the isolation switch up to 15KW as stated in the electricians on site guide using the diversification calculations.


Answered 9th May 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories