Ask a tradesman


Fuse mcbs to new type - help?

My electrician is changing old push in type mcbs to a new circuit box with 8 are there rules on this does it have to be registered with building control besides me getting a certificate :- it's a RENTAL PROPERTY shared shorthold tenancy . He said the kitchen was not on a separate circuit to test of flat . He has added a new feed from a socket and separated now . New box not fitted yet I'm concerned the box is not correct hoe do I know if it's a 16th or 17th edition?. Should it be ?. It's changing today should I stop work now I'm worried I need a building cert ??? Advice please . There is a galvanised metal box above the fuse box which houses 3 brown round ? With cabling going into them from sleeved wiring outside it can I add pictures here help ASAP thanks

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

A 17th Edition dual RCD board must be fitted in order to comply with BS7671:2008. If not RCD's are fitted then the work can't be signed off as compliant. It must be compliant in order to register the job with the local authority under part P of the building regulations. So you should get two certificates at the end of the job. 1) the EIC issued directly by the electrician and 2) the Part P building regulation compliance certificate issued by building control.

Note: if the work is not registered then you can be held liable as the property owner for a fine for up to £5000. So its very important that you get the part P certificate.


Answered 2nd Mar 2015

Your electrician should notify building control through the part P accreditation ,they should leave you with an installation cert with the test results attached ,there certified body [nic eic ,napit etc]will send the buildings owner the cert .The quick way to tell between 16th &17th edision consumer units is 16 th generally has 1 rcd and 17 th has 2 .
hope this helps


Answered 27th Feb 2015

Hi Pinklady54

The electrician should be fitting a 17th edition split load mains board with RCD protection or a full board RCBOs depending on the electricians preference, If the electrician is a NICEIC/Napit/Elecsa registered electrician and provides you with certification of the work completed. If he is changing the consumer unit he should be providing you with an installation certificate, this will give the client an overall impression of the current state of the current electrical installation


Answered 24th Jan 2017

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories