Damp Proofing Question

We have a damp problem in a bedroom and kitchen

We have been advised by a damp proofing company that it is not a rising damp problem and that we need to contact a builder to find the sauce of the problem. Not having gone through this before i dont know what type of builder to contact. The damp that we can see is in an upstairs bedroom on the external wall, it looks like it is posibly coming own from the roof and the damp downstairs is on the same wall at the other end of the property.

2 Answers

It is possible a leak from the roof, but unless there is a Chimney on the wall, with a failed lead flashing(water will collect here), I would be very surprised if there was sufficient water egress to cause this. It most likely penetrating damp coming straight(ish) through the wall. If it is brickwork (externally) it will require repointing, If it is render(is the render cracked?) It may be possible to resolve by filling and painting,else re-rendering. If it is painted brickwork the Paint may well be holding the water in, instead of keeping it out! How old is the house? If it has Cavity walls have they been foam filled? Without a photo it is very difficult to be more precise.
I hope this helps.
Regards Simon

Answered 26th Aug 2011


Member since 19 Jul 2011

As the previous builder said there are many symptons to assess. Just to add also check to area for sign of effervesence. These are salts which give clues of the cause of the damp. Basic damp tester are cheap and are very helpful in assessing the problem

Answered 27th Aug 2011

Elite Building & Plumbing Services Ltd

Member since 8 Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions