Ask a tradesman


Extending an existing light ring


I am extending a exsisting strip light curcuit to some led strips in my brothers office.

Do i need to get my work signed of to extend a lighting curcuit i will not be changing anything in the consumer unit.



1 Answer from a MyBuilder Electrician

Best Answer


Basically there is two parts to the answer...

Part 1 relates to the legal requirements of building regulations (namely Part P). If the work falls into the scope of 'notifiable work' under part P then it has to be signed off via your local council Building control, either directly notifying them (before carrying out he work) or via a Self certification scheme (which I guess your not part off). Failure to comply with this can result in a fine up to £5000. However, not a lot actually falls under notifiable work... Basically it only covers domestic and includes the following: addition (not amendment or alteration) of a new circuit. Replacement of consumer unit. Work in special locations (bathroom, swimming pool, outside etc).
So most likely from your description, you are covered on this part.

Part 2) Electrical Regs and Electricity at work Act... Electricity at work Act is a legal requirement (and covers work in a domestic property) and failure to comply can result in prosecution, it requires electrical work to be carried out by a competent person and to be safe, the Electrical regs are not a legal requirement but a 'standard', which can be used as a benchmark to say whether or not electrical work is to sufficient standard or not... Can you ensure it is? Part of modifying any electrical system is ensuring that the system/circuit is safe to remain in service, this includes parts you are not altering such as adequacy of main earthing and main protective bonding, this requires good knowledges of the electrical regulations as well as specialist test equipment... Can you tick both of them boxes? Do you know how to measure the continuity of the circuit, the insulation resistance, the Zs value, can you compare the Zs reading is within the permitted value for the type of supply (assuming you can identify that) to ensure that the protective device will act within the allowed time (assuming you know what that is?)???

Basically, if the work isn't notifyable then you wouldn't be breaking the law, but if something ever happened and someone was injured or killed or there was an electrical fire then you could be prosecuted with a likely prison sentence!

It's your choice if you want to do it or not but please consider there is actually a lot more than sticking in an extra length of cable and a light.



Answered 8th Feb 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories