Plumbing Question

My downstairs toilet makes a groaning noise when filling up after flushing it is connected to the mains flow

when i turn the cold tap on at the sink it makes the noise worse also mains fed

Any idea's anyone?

7 Answers

Best Answer

If you have a valve on the cold pipe going in to the toiet you can turn it down to reduce the flow going in & hopefully the noise. No need to call a plumber for that
If its a ball valve you will need a flat blade screwdriver.

Answered 1st Mar 2011

Graham Higgs Home Improvements

Member since 15 Feb 2011

No feedback

Dear David,

Do not turn your mains stop tap down. This will have an impact on pressure potentially in the whole house particularly if you have a combi boiler. With regards the toilet I would simply replace the inlet valve (torbeck) there are various options with most having adjustable heights to cater for different cistern shapes/sizes some also come with restrictors which you install for either high pressure (HP) or low pressure (LP) the HP one for mains fed. With regard the tap that may simply be and issue with tap and needs replacing difficult to say with out seeing that one.

Answered 2nd Mar 2011

Tranquility Bathrooms, Kitchens & Plumbing

Member since 10 Nov 2010

Isolate feed to toilet cistern and strip down the filling valve, can just be a small blockage, or replace the unit.
If you don't feel confident enough then use ourselves or someone on the site to come out and change it.
Contry to belief we are approachable and most of us don't charge the earth.

Answered 3rd Mar 2011


Member since 19 Nov 2010

No feedback

This is normally the diaphragm on the float in the toilets cistern, occasionally it could be the ball valve, if there is one. If I was you, for the price of them I would replace the whole lot.

Answered 28th Feb 2011

Pure Building and Plumbing

Member since 31 May 2010

Inside the ball valve their is a changeable part called the orafis, this can be for mains pressure or low pressure I would of thought you have the low pressure one inside.

Dave Giles

Answered 28th Feb 2011


Member since 17 Oct 2009

Hi there,you may have an old style ballvalve,which you can try replacing. or it may be your pressure is too high from the mains in which case you can fit a pressure reducing valve........Brian

Answered 28th Feb 2011

E&M Plumbing & Heating

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Turn your mains stop tap down will sort it all for you

Answered 1st Mar 2011

GR Electrical & Construction Services

Member since 25 Jun 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions