Ask a tradesman


Signing off electrical work

Advice sort; Recently had a small extention built on my property in which I undertook the electrical installation. Albeit I am now retired I am well qualified to undertake such work after a lifetime in the industry.After an apprenticeship going on to be responsible for the varied and complex electrical services in major hospital developments. Besides the City and Guilds certs,I have a degree in electrical engineering,membership of the IET and a Chartered Engineer.My Question: From the for going can I be designated as a "Competent Person"for the purposes of signing off my work,which fully meet the 17th edition of the regulations?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Yes - But you will either have to pay your local council to carry out a Part P notification or a NAPIT approved contractor who is willing to carry out third party testing (as far as I'm aware it is only NAPIT that have opted in to third party testing).


Answered 1st Feb 2015

Not really No. To be a registered competent person you have to belong to one of the three government schemes; NICEIC, ELECSA or NAPIT (Each costs around £600 a year to be a member). Therefore your only option is to pay for Part P building regulation consent and either provide an Electrical Installation Certificate for the works to LABC or get them out to inspect and test it.


Answered 4th Feb 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories