Ask a tradesman


Does consumer unit need replacing?

Hi, i viewed a commercial property for lease today. The upstairs living accommodation has an older looking consumer unit and a smaller new looking trip switch box next to it. Could someone tell me if might need replacing?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

The image shows a 1980's to 1990's Wylex unit with plug in circuit breakers. It appears that there is no RCD present (provides electric shock protection). Whilst and RCD is good to have as it can save your life! There would be no legal requirement to upgrade the fuseboard unless you wanted to. It would however be advisable to have a thorough electrical test and inspection carried out on the property. All commercial properties should be tested every 3 to 5 years. Ask the Landlord for a copy of the previous test certificate if its available.


Answered 4th Feb 2015

That consumer unit is one of the older types the newer little one I'm guessing has the RCD for the system.

This consumer unit would be ok depending when it was last tested? but an 8 way 17th edition board with split load would be my advice to upgrade to.
Also an EICR test too if the system hasn't been tested in a while!



Answered 5th Feb 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories