Ask a tradesman


Outside sockets

I live in a first floor maisonette and want to add a socket to a downstairs shed (yet to be built). The shed is going to have a fridge and a dryer in it so not that much load. The easiest way to do this would be to take a spur off the kitchen ring as the socket I would take the spur from is against an outside wall. The other option is to take it from the main ring but that would require me to take up carpet which I don't really want to do.

My main question is - Am I allowed to do this given it is the kitchen ring (although it is not the ring that the hob is wired to).

Are there any requirements for having a cable outside? I was looking at using armored cable. The cable would come out of the flat on the first floor by our outside steps. It would then have to be attached to the wall to downstairs and into the brick shed where I would attach it to an outdoor socket.

Rather than have a spur wired in would it be better to use a RCD plug and just see it as a permanent extension lead if that makes sense?


2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

I would personally install a new distribution circuit from your main consumer unit to a dedicated garage RCD protected consumer unit inside your shed, but i am a qualified electrician. There is many factors to consider which are beyond a keen D.I.Y enthusiasts scope. before you even contemplated this you would have numerous diversity and correcting factors to consider. your safest option would be to run an extension lead with an RCD for fault protection (to save your life), and the fuse in the plug rated at 13Amps will see to your over-current protection (to stop a fire). I do not wish to sound flash here and i admire your will, but when i hear a drip even i call a plumber because your paying for the professionalism and that is priceless.


Answered 28th Jan 2015

Firstly this work is Part P building regulation notifiable, so you must apply to your local authority and pay to get part P building regulation consent to carry out DIY electrical works for a shed supply (approx. cost £300). Once you have the part P consent in place. You will need to run an SWA cable from the fusebox in the flat and out to the shed, so its on a dedicated circuit (This is to avoid the loss of any power to kitchen, etc if the circuit gets damaged/wet etc and is in accordance with recognised industry practice).

If the SWA cable etc is to be fixed to a wall that you don't own (e.g. lower ground floor flat or a communal area wall) then you will need to seek the advice of a solicitor so that a party wall agreement can be put into place that allows you to fix the cable to the wall legally (covers you against any damage, loss or future claims etc). The Freeholder and/or other tenants should be consulted and may object to granting permission.

The circuit will need to be RCD protected and wired in accordance with BS7671:2008. On completion the local authority inspector will visit and test the work. If compliant with BS7671:2008 he/she will issue you with a part P building regulation certificate. If it fails, then you will have to put the work right and pay for a re-test. Best of luck with the job.


Answered 28th Jan 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories