Bathroom Fitting Question

I live in a low water pressure flat, what is the best type of shower ti get installed. would i need to have a pump fitted as well.

6 Answers

Best Answer

If you have a Cold Water Storage Tank, you can buy Low Pressure Showers and install this being fed by cold water from the Cold Water Storage Tank.

If you are saying that your Mains Water supply is low and less than 1 Bar in pressure, you can fit an Electric Shower that does both High and Low Pressure supply and then you can pipe direct from Mains Water.

You can install a Twin Impeller Pump to the Cold Feed from Cold Water Storage Tank and to the outllet of the Hot Water Cylinder and then fit a Thermostatic Shower Valve being fed by pumped water.

If you have a COMBI Boiler you can only fit a Thermostatic Shower Valve and NO pump or an Electric Shower.

Note, if your water pressure from the Mains Supply is less than 1 Bar you can ask the Water Board to test water pressure that you should be getting from outside Stop Cock on Road, if good pressure then you know it is being caused within your property boundary, if low pressure then Water Board should rectify and increase the pressure for you.

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Answered 24th Aug 2011

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Member since 9 Sep 2009

Do you have a combi ? If so its a problem and you will have to have a electric shower. OR do you have tanks ? If so put in a mira event. Basicallyits a pump not a shower but the cold and hot feeds must come from the cold water tank and the hot water tank. The electrics are nominal in that it only needs 1.5 flex to it and the loading is only 5 amps whereas an electric shower will need to have a cable taken back to the mains and will cost the earth

Answered 24th Aug 2011

Jeff Stockdale Plumbing and Heating

Member since 28 Nov 2010

If pressure say 1bar then a pressure activated pump can be fitted this type of pump pressurises the cold water to 3.5 bar where you can then use a standard electric shower the pump can be obtained from grundfos

Answered 24th Aug 2011


Member since 22 Aug 2011

Hi. If you have and electric shower and have room to put a small tank somwhere above the shower height, (loft etc) then the shower can be tank fed then there will be no problems.


Answered 24th Aug 2011

PB Design & Build

Member since 9 Feb 2009

Hello. A lot depends on what water system you have in place already. If you have an electric shower you can buy the showers with an internal pump.
If you have a mixer shower then a pump may be needed.
I hope this helps.

Wesley Lee
W Lee carpentry Ltd

Answered 24th Aug 2011

W Lee Carpentry Limited

Member since 28 Jul 2011

hi,depending on which boiler you have,you can only fit a pump to a gravity fed system and use a thermostatic valve shower or a power shower without the pump.if its a combi boiler then you can fit a digital shower with boost.mira make a good one called the platinum
hope this helps

Answered 24th Aug 2011

rw joinery and building maintenance

Member since 10 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bathroom Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions