Ask a tradesman


What size/way consumer unit do i need to buy

I am renovating a property and the electrician I have been using wants to charge me £120 for the consumer unit which I know is far too expensive, when I checked on-line prices
I have 5 rooms plus bathroom and kitchen, all room have: 1 down light and a couple of double sockets, except for the kitchen which has 4 double sockets and a electric Oven.
What size/way unit do i need to buy?
Many Thanks
Gina :-)

4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Hi, It depends on how many circuits you have, not how many fittings in rooms etc.
There are many types of consumer unit out there so what you may have seen online could be a lower spec one.
If the £120 includes fitting then this is very cheap indeed. If that price is just for the unit itself, then it's maybe slightly towards the expensive end of the market, although not too bad.


Answered 22nd Jan 2015

Its not possible to tell without looking as you need to establish if any of the existing circuits are bunched and what the ratings of the existing circuit protective devices are and what if any extra ones you need. Added to the cost of the basic unit is the plywood mounting board, and 25mm double insulated meter tails, 16mm main earth and 4 way main earth block. Therefore £100 - £120 for materials is a reasonable price. A lot of the Chinese made consumer units offered for £60 are poor quality and do not comply with the new requirements for fire retardant enclosures.


Answered 22nd Jan 2015

You need to find out whether the Electrician is putting RCBO's in the board. This is a better way of wiring a consumer unit but will make the equipment more expensive. If a standard split way consumer unit is being put in with dual RCD's this price may be slightly too much. You may have also been comparing to poorer quality brands.

You've got to compare apples to apples as there are several ways of wiring a domestic fuse board.

Using RCBO's is a good way of ensuring minimum inconvenience in the the event of a fault. Using a split way board has the possible affect of denying you the use of healthy circuits until the fault one is rectified. RCBO's would ensure only the faulty circuit is disconnected.

I hope this helps.



Answered 22nd Jan 2015

By the looks of it you would have around 6 circuits so an 8 way dual split RCD Board would be ample, so to leave you with two spare. However if you have an electrical shower hob or any other circuits then I would recommend a 10 way dual split RCD board.

8 way around £40
10 way around £50

M.C.B. (one needed per circuit) around £5 each

There are other ways of protecting circuits that may increase the bill, Check with your electrician what method he is using.


Answered 22nd Jan 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories