Ask a tradesman


Fraudulent electrical certificate


I wanted to get some advice. I had to provide the council with an electrical certificate for my rental property. I got one done by a qualified electrician. However, it seems as though he has overlooked a hanging wire and issued a certificate which I have paid for.
Problem is the council have challenged this and have spoken to the electrician to ask how a certificate was issued when there was this issue.

The electrician has turned around and said I have harassed him into issuing it. Now the council has cautioned me over the phone and have asked me to go in next week for an interview. They are saying I tried to fraudulently obtain an electrical certificate.

Can anyone advise what my legal posits is. I used a qualified electrician, and if he has overlooked something and issued a certificate I don't see how it's my fault.

If it's believed that I harassed him into issueing a certificate what could happen

Would appreciate any advice you can give



4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

get in touch with the body he is registred with(ELECSA, NAPIT or NICEI). in the certificate there is his registration number.


Answered 19th Jan 2015

Firstly you should find out if the electrician is not just part p certified but under regular assessments (usually two yearly) to carry out Electrical condition reports. Find out who he's registered with ie Elecsa or Niceic Etc and ask them if the company is registered to carry out such work.
Now with regards to certification it's what it says on the tin really that a skilled person has certified a dwelling as safe or not. Safe is satisfactory not is unsatisfactory and defects listed. If the guy in question did not see as let's say a cable under floor board showing a live exposed conductive part then it's reasonable to assume that under floors and to include lofts under insulation behind plaster not be checked for cables but would help in an assessment for these items to be omitted from testing to make it easier and clear. And a percentage of sockets usually 25% tested as standard with the inclusion of this limitation of testing visibly on the completed certificate.
Now as you've found a dangerous condition you will need to have this corrected immediately to avoid risk of shock or fire and potentially could be deadly obviously.
If it was reasonable the guy in question took all reasonable step within his checks to find such a fault with the electrics then I would strongly urge you to stand down from any accusations as this could lead to problems legally.
You are not in any way responsible for this so have no concern of that as long as all you've done is contracted a guy to have a condition report made up and to obtain a good reference of the state of your electrical installation and is morally right and commendable for a landlord and wish more people did it.
Hope this helps
Mark Pigram
MPEP Services


Answered 19th Jan 2015

If he has issued a periodic or an EICR then it's the responsibility of the "client" ie you to advise the electrician what he needs to test ie. How many circuits or extent of the installation or how much of the installation is to be tested. Normally 30% or 40% of the installation is tested which is clearly stated on the test certificate. Only a 100% test is ie 100% visual and 100% physical test is stated on the test certificate if the client has requested this.

Bare in mind that this certificate is only a report on the "existing" installation and for what it's worth just get another electrician to test it or issue you a certificate so that you can compare reports.

On the basis that there might be a bare wire check the certificate if a 100% test has been carried out and clearly stated on the certificate. If not then he might of not tested that circuit which therefore won't be recorded on the certificate. This will only apply if the info on the certificate is in accordance with the IEE wiring regulation in which he is testing to and if he is following the accordance of guidence not 3. If so then the certificate is still valid because the circuits he has tested comply to the regulations.

Your next action would be now to get the installation tested again by a competent and registered electrician preferably state that you want a 100% test and when he finds this "bare wire" he will issue you with a un-satisfactory cert. then you need to get the problem sorted by an electrician and have him issue you a minor works certificate to say that the works has been completed and all of the notes on the un-satisfactory report have been rectified. Therefore you can hand in your un-satisfactory report which is backed up by a minor works certificate. This then makes the un-satisfactory report in effect satisfactory.



Answered 19th Jan 2015

The Electrical contractor should not have issued the certificate even if you were hassling him.
Contact the NICEIC or association he is affiliated to and give them the details


Answered 5th Jul 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories