Flooring Question

Marley tile & glue on lounge floor - removing tiles & glue, fixing cracked concrete & levelling

I have recently bought a 1940's property & I am redecorating the lounge/dining room. The previous owners had laminate flooring down, but I want carpet.
So I pulled some of the laminate up to check what the floor was like underneath as it does need levelling, but I found underneath the laminate were the old Marley tiles stuck down with the black bitumen. From reading around online I understand the Marley tiles do contain some asbestos, so I have been careful when lifting those tiles.
But where some of the tiles were a bit more stubborn it left behind a lot of the bitumen glue that was used to stick the tiles down.
My first question is, how can I remove this Bitumen glue so I can proceed to my next step?

Secondly, there is a crack in the concrete where the house has slipped at one point (we had a structural engineer out to make sure the house was sound when buying & he gave the seal of approval). There seems to be a bit of moisture coming up around where that crack is, so I need to seal this crack & prevent any further moisture rising.
What would be the best answer for this?

Finally, the floor needs levelling. So once I have removed the bitumen glue, filled the crack in the concrete (sealing the damp course) would I be ok to lay some of the self-levelling compound to finally reach my goal?

In my head the steps would be:
Remove tiles
Remove bitumen glue
Seal concrete with moisture sealant (paint on fluid or damp proof membrane)
Apply a screed on the concrete
Finish with some levelling compound

Does this sound like the right approach for this job?

2 Answers

Best Answer

If your house is 1940s it has no structural damp proof membrane. What you need to do is called a dpm sandwich. A coat of low compression strength screed/smoothing compound. A coat of epoxy resin dpm and then a top coat of screed. Problem solved. I recommend contacting a proper floor fitter not a handy man though.

Answered 27th Jan 2015

D W Design Flooring

Member since 6 May 2014

Hire a grinding machine and remove the old adhesive. Then if concrete is rough give the floor a coat of Ardex NA or any similar moisture tolerance smoothing compound.
Then Ardex DPM 1c liquid DPM.
Carpet can be direct over this or if you want to protect the DPM then another coat of Ardex na.

Answered 13th Feb 2015

Eclipse flooring

Member since 8 Jul 2014

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Flooring Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions