Carpentry & Joinery Question

Moving internal door to create larger space

Bedroom door wanting to be moved to incorporate part of unecessary hallway to create slightly bigger bedroom.
Need to know if possible

many thanks.

7 Answers

Best Answer

anything is possible with regards to moving walls and doors but whether it is a viable option is down to whether the wall is a supporting wall or not.
This can only really be confirmed by looking at the job.

Answered 18th Aug 2011

Mark Coleman ~ Carpenter

Member since 28 Dec 2008

Yes this is perfectly possible to do.

You need to be sure your not taking out a structural load bearing wall.

If you are you will need to install an rsj to take the ceiling that is currently on your wall.

If you are unsure of a load bearing wall please consult a local surveyor to inspect for you.

Also watch out for hidden pipes and cables at all times.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Answered 18th Aug 2011

pa build uk

Member since 3 Aug 2009

it depends if its a supporting wall or not easiest way to check is by checking the rafters in the roof

Answered 18th Aug 2011


Member since 28 Jul 2008

Yes not a problem. any doorway can be moved or altered. Firstly find out if the walls are solid or stud. Tap you hand on the wall if it sounds hollow its studwork & may spring slightly. If its solid it will be a dull thud. If solid brick or block then lintels above the frame maybe required if there is weight above to be held up. This would be inserted first. with a minimun bearing of 100mm for a standard door either side of the frame.

Answered 18th Aug 2011

PB Design & Build

Member since 9 Feb 2009

You'll need to determine if the wall is a partition wall or load bearing wall first. Does it sound hollow or solid when you tap it. If its hollow then the job of moving the door is a lot easier than if it is solid. Either way it should be possible to move your door. Get somebody round to have a look, they could then give you advise and an accurate quote for doing the work.

Answered 18th Aug 2011

Pure Building and Plumbing

Member since 31 May 2010

hi there as a builders for over 35 years the answers is yes . but to tel you more one has to take a look thank you ian

Answered 18th Aug 2011

bedfordshire builders ltd

Member since 30 Sep 2009


Should be possible, ask a chippy to have a look...they'll be able to asses it better that way.

Answered 18th Aug 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions